I suggest you ...

Add night trip monitoring

Add the ability to track whether the sailing was at night or during the day time.

ref: RYA / USCG certifications (e.g., Ocean Yacht Master) require a personal log book with additional info.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminDuncan Malcolm (Founder, Saild) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminDuncan Malcolm (Founder, Saild) commented  · 

Looking at the RYA they like to have night hours calculated for night hours for Yachtmaster Coastal but not for other courses.

For the offshore they require that of the x5 60nm passages, at least two should 'involve overnight passages'. On that basis I guess we could do both on the export, some logic that says whether a trip involved night sailing as well as how much night sailing.

If we need to calculate whether it's night/day, might as well include the amount of night time as well..

A simpler option would be to count a two day trip as having an overnight part but that feels like it could end up being inaccurate.

• Roy Sharon commented  · 

I agree about calculating it algorithmically.

Not sure re the US Sailing criteria. In any case, following the RYA guidelines is probably sufficient.

However, I'm not sure you need to calculate it on a hourly basis. It may be sufficient to treat any change in the date as a night trip.

• AdminDuncan Malcolm (Founder, Saild) commented  · 

As this can be calculated algorithmically it is possible to have this automatically calculated.

Which is our preference as the whole idea of the app is that you shouldn't need to touch it! Any other further thought on this?

The RYA view night time as one hour after sunset, is this echoed by US Sailing and other authorities?

Feedback and Knowledge Base